1. Purpose of this policy
VisaEasy is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals and is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (“APP’s”) set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth) (the “Act”).
2. What personal information we collect and how we collect it
The personal information VisaEasy collect about you may include (but may not be limited to):
• your name, gender, date and place of birth;
• contact details (including but not limited to your home address, postal address, telephone numbers, email addresses and Internet Protocol (IP) address;
• your occupation and education/work history;
• information relating to your dealings with our business;
We may also collect ‘sensitive information’ and ‘health information’ (as these terms are defined in the Act). These may include medical checks, drug and alcohol test results and criminal background checks. We only collect sensitive information and health information where it is reasonably necessary to carry out our business functions and either you have consented, or we are required or authorised by law to do so.
We collect personal information from you in a number of different ways. We may collect personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
• provide personal information to us;
• apply for a position of employment with us;
• become a customer or a client of ours;
• use our website or services (including via cookies); and
• contact and correspond with us, for example to ask for information.
We may also, if you consent, collect personal information about you from another associated entity, from publicly available sources of information, or in some cases, from third parties including recruitment agencies, previous employers, government departments and third party service providers which provide details of credit history and other background checks.
3. Information collected on our Website
Information is automatically collected through your use of our Website(s) through cookies. Cookies are small text files that websites or apps may place on your computer or device. Most often, cookies are used to recognise repeat users of websites and remember user preferences. We may collect this information both anonymously and in relation to user accounts. Cookies are also used to allow the website to track usage behaviour and aggregate data to allow us to customise a user’s experience on our websites.
4. Why we collect personal information
The purposes for which we collect your information may include:
• verifying your identity;
• contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner);
• providing you with our services or providing you with information about our services; and
• developing and improving our services and obtaining feedback.
If we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to provide you with products, services and assistance to the extent that they require us to collect, use or disclose personal information.
5. Use and disclosure of personal information
VisaEasy may use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. We will also use and disclose your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
Other instances when we may use and disclose your personal information include:
• where you have expressly or impliedly consented to the use or disclosure;
• in confidence, to our advisers and insurers;
• in confidence, to third parties to improve our services and obtain feedback; and
• where the use or disclosure is authorised or required by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties, including:
• share your personal information amongst our associated entities;
• share your personal information with our advisors and consultants; and
• with third party service providers we use in conducting our business, subject to confidentiality provisions as we deem appropriate.
We may contact you via email, SMS or other means in order to provide you with updated information about the Website, in relation to events or to provide you with other information about our services. If you do not wish to receive any such information, please contact us as set out below.
6. Disclosing and storing information overseas
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia.
For example, we may disclose your personal information to external national or overseas facilities in the course of conducting information and data processing, back up and scanning or for the purposes of obtaining other services from third parties.
However, VisaEasy will not send personal information about an individual outside Australia without:
• obtaining the consent of the individual (in some cases this consent will be implied); or
• otherwise taking all reasonable steps to ensure such third parties comply with the Australian Privacy Principles or other applicable privacy legislation.
The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances.
VisaEasy may also store personal information in the ‘cloud’ which may mean that it resides on servers which are situated outside Australia. As these cloud storage services are provided by independent third parties, the actual location of these servers may change from time to time and is outside the knowledge or control of .
7. Access and correction of personal information
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us. If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we may hold about you, please contact our Privacy Officer in writing as set out below.
However, we may charge for providing access to this information to cover the cost of verifying your application and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested.
We may also refuse access where the Act allows us to do so. If we cannot provide you with access to that information, we will provide you with written notice explaining the reasons for refusal.
8. Storage and security of your personal information
VisaEasy will take reasonable steps to keep any personal information we hold about you secure. However, except to the extent liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, VisaEasy excludes all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
We may store your files in hard copy or electronically in our computer systems. These may include Australian-based cloud servers or the servers of third parties within Australia.
We implement a range of physical and electronic security measures to protect the personal information that we hold, including:
• restricted access to our offices;
• mandatory password protection on all computers (users are required to change their passwords at regular intervals);
• hardware encryption on desktops, laptops and portable storage devices;
• secure hard copy document storage, secure electronic storage media and hardware and secure document disposal procedures;
• firewall and antivirus/malware software; and
• systems and application access controls implemented to restrict access to information (on a need to know basis).
9. Complaints process
Telephone: +617 3088 3777
Fax: +617 3088 3777
Email: privacy at visaeasy dot com dot au
The Privacy Officer will investigate the complaint and determine whether a breach has occurred and what action, if any, to take. When contacting us, please provide as much detail as possible in relation to the query, issue or complaint.
We will take any privacy complaint seriously. We will aim to resolve any such complaint in a timely and efficient manner, and our target response time is 30 days. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
Our internal complaint handling division will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also make a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (which is the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia):
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
Complaints must be made in writing
Phone 1300 363 992
Mail Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001